Friday, February 18, 2011

My Group and Aramark.


        In my composition class my group is tackling the problem of book bags being stolen from the upstairs of the south dinning hall. We entitled our group safe sacks, in hope the name would grab attention. We recently scheduled a meeting with Aramark the food provider for the south dinning hall. We wanted to talk with Aramark because they are the company that is forcing students to leave their bags outside the dinning hall. We wanted to get Aramark’s  and the universities point of view on the thefts. Our group was very excited to meet with the representative and have the interview. I had called the representative a week prior and confirmed our appointment and where it would take place. I even called three days before the meeting for confirmation. When the day came our group gathered together early to shared our questions with each other before the meeting. We wanted to be well prepared for this meeting because we were not sure what to expect. We waited thirty minutes for the representative to arrive, then we figured he was not coming. We were very hurt and upset by this set back, so we went back to out teacher Dr. Morris. We told her what had happened and she listened in awe of our misfortune. As soon as we were done telling her our story she immediately asked us “ what do you do now?” I think the whole group was a little stunned by how quickly she expected us to to bounce back from our failure. I think if Dr. Morris had not said that to us we would have lost our drive and passion to continue. Because of her pep talk, we decided to e-mail him and request another meeting. I sent him an e-mail, and as my group and I were walking out of the building, I received a phone call from the Aramark representative. He asked if we could have the interview now at the coffee shop. We were all very excited and we ran to the coffee shop. 
           Our meeting with Aramark went great, they were impressed with how well prepared and professional we were in the interview. Although one thing I found difficult was using my words in a professional way. In the beginning of the interview I was simply reading off my paper which wasn’t getting my questions out effectively. The more questions I ask, the more comfortable I became with the interview process. Another thing I found difficult was trying not to offend the people I was interviewing. In this interview I was very passionate about the subject, and my questions were not ones they wanted to answer. I had to push to get some of my answers, it was hard not to get angry or frustrated. Perhaps it was because of my personal experience with this problem and knowing how it feels to have things stolen. Although as the interview progressed I realized that Aramark and the university also had property stolen. Aramark was subject to the same theft situation as I had experience but from the opposite perspective. One thing I loved about this interview, was both our group and Aramark had the same goal. Trying to give the other party an insight into how they feel, and their side of the story. It was amazing because, at the end of the interview we ended up meeting in the middle, and finding a comprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment