Monday, February 7, 2011

College Composition


         In my college composition class we are attempting something really different for the semester. We get to pick a problem that we as college students face, and decide on something we can do to fix that problem. At first I thought it was a little odd that we were doing something like this for a composition class, but as I went to more classes I realized that this class was going to teach me much more then just how to write. This class is going to teach me how to solve problems in the real world, and how to set realistic goals for myself. How to get to the source of the problem and tackle it head on. When I enrolled into this class I expected to be glued to a desk writing papers on subjects that did not interest me. Although, so far everything I have written about has been something I am passionate about. Through this I realized that I write much better when I am passionate about the subject. 
            Knowing the fact that we can actually change things in the world is very empowering. I used to always feel like the problems I encountered were out of my hands and there was nothing I could do about them. There are so many different problems in the world that simply don’t get tackled. We passively watch and complain yet never do anything about them. Everything in this world is interconnected, what effects one person might someday affect you. We act like we are bystanders in our own world and essentially our own life! We all have to learn to work together and stand up for what we believe in no matter how small the problem or the person. 
               Dr. Morris keeps reminding us that we can cause change, as long as we don’t give up.  I think we feel like we can’t do anything about it, because change seem like such a big task to make happen. Maybe it is actually easier then we think. Perhaps the big companies and our peers make us feel small and insignificant so we do not rise up and make change happen. Well I say one person can change the world and someday I want the person to be me.




* All Pictures From Google Images*

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Vanessa! Embracing your own power and ability to cause change is the first step. Keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete